Thursday, May 22, 2014

PODCASTS

Thanks for reading another post! (Or if this is your first post, thanks for checking out my blog!)

In this post I want to talk to you about some of my favorite podcasts.
Before I dive in I want to tell you why podcasts are so amazing. When you listen to podcasts it is almost like you get to talk with some of your heroes that are doing things that you (Or maybe I) would love to do! I listen to podcasts that are put out by creative people because I feel like they have cut out a pathway of their own and they can share super valuable information about how they did it.

So, the following podcasts are a list of ones I listen to or have listened to. Check some of them out and even feel free to email me and tell me about other podcasts that I could listen to if you know of a good one.

The first Podcast that I must tell everyone about is the Sean Wes Podcast!

I have to recommend this podcast because I have listened to every single episode and have even had the pleasure of emailing Sean a couple of times with questions. Sean McCabe is a hand lettering artist and does his podcast with a co-host named Ben Toalson. They are podcasting out of Texas and they always share super sound advice about starting up a creative career. What I love about their podcast is the honesty and straight forwardness they have. Sometimes they say "Harsh Sean" is going to be talking when they are about to say something that is kind of hard to swallow, but something you need to hear. Ben Toalson is a family man that keeps things interesting and fun with his awesome stories and talking about his boys. I think he has 5...
When I post this blog post these guys will have pumped out 76 podcasts so you can look through their titles and find one that you like.

Also a side note. Sean is very musically talented and use to be in a band with Ben. The intro music was written by Sean. Pretty Cool!

I really liked one where they talked about "Fears" It will be in the link.
To try it out click HERE!

Image by Sean McCabe


Another one I would recommend is called "Your Dreams My Nightmares"
This podcast is put on by Sam Weber an amazing Illustrator.

Warning: This podcast has a tendency of including some language. Usually Sam and the person he is interviewing for his podcasts drink a little bit before they start recording so they can be interesting.
Also he plays some music before and after the podcast. Sometimes it is really strange Music.

But the things I love about the podcasts are that this interview style podcasts talk about illustration in the Heart of New York! They usually talk about the history of some of the coolest artists that are doing their thing right now! He interviews some legit people. It also has some really good advice and some fun stories. I have learned a ton from the artists that are practicing right now as I have listened to this Podcast.

If you are interested in checking out some of the interviews check it out HERE!

Image By Sam Weber


Another fun one to check out is Pencil VS Pixel!
The Host is Cesar Contreras. He always starts his podcast out by asking the person he is interviewing Pencil or Pixel? If he were to ask me I might have to say Pen! Ha Ha. I really like getting my sketches done with out going back and making lots of changes. I feel like when I use a pencil I always want to use the eraser. But I definitely like using them more than a computer. 
But this is about Cesar's Podcast! Sorry. 
Cesar does interviews with all sorts of creative people. Some that are doing illustration, some that are doing web page development, and all sorts of entrepreneurs that are self employed.
These podcasts are a little shorter, but Cesar is a great host. I have enjoyed listening to them as well.

If this sounds like a podcast you might want to check out Click HERE!

These are a few of my personal favorites to listen to. I listen to podcasts while I am working or painting. I really love to get information and I feel like it engages another part of my brain while I am trying to solve other problems. 

Other times I need music and I go to Pandora.com for that. I am currently loving my Ingrid Michaelson Station as well as Tyrone Wells. I sometimes listen to Imagine Dragons, Mumford and Sons, Cake, and Carli Bruni (A French Singer!). 

If you have other Music Recommendations for me I love trying out new sounds. Let me know!

To close out this blog post I want to announce a couple of new things. 

1) My Final show as a student is coming up on July 1st! I haven't figured out when we will actually have the reception for that so stay tuned.

2) My Website is getting revamped so get excited to see some awesome new work and a new look for my website soon!

3) I have promised some pictures of what I am working on so I will give you something!

Here it is:


I have been working at a frame building show where we craft frames out of wood and finish them up for artists. All the Gold Leafing and painting and everything is done in house. It is pretty darn awesome.
With some scraps I have started making a really tiny frame for fun and to practice. So this little sketch is a painting I am making of my boss to go in it.

Thanks again for reading!
If you like what you are finding here tell a friend about my Blog. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment